Built in 1931 for Fifth Avenue Bank of New York (later the Bank of New York), 909 Madison Avenue replaced a Queen Anne Style rowhouse designed in 1886 by owner/architect Charles Buck & Company as one of a row of four. The present structure was designed by architects Schultze & Weaver in the Neo-Federal style. Located on New York's Upper East Side, the now landmarked building is just blocks from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Frick Collection, and the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum.
In January 2017, the New York gallery expanded to occupy the full premises at 909 Madison Avenue, where since its opening it has presented critically acclaimed exhibitions on the upper two levels. With the expansion, Lévy Gorvy significantly increased its exhibition space through the addition of the ground floor, while expanding its private viewing rooms and research facilities on the lower level. The gallery commissioned the renowned architect Bill Katz to redesign the building’s ground floor with the goal of enhancing the presentation of both intimate and large-scale projects.
In October 2014, Dominique Lévy expanded to London, opening a location at historic 22 Old Bond Street, steps from the Royal Academy of Arts in the city’s Mayfair district. Much like the gallery’s Manhattan home in a designated landmark building, LGDR's London space occupies two floors within a historic building constructed by the Duveen family in the 19th century, based upon the design of a Venetian palazzo.
Sited in a typically intimate Parisian passage between rue du Temple and rue Rambuteau, LGDR Paris will sit within walking distance from the Centre Pompidou and in close proximity to other prominent international galleries, in the Marais district, at 4 Passage Sainte-Avoye in the 3rd arrondissement.
In 2008, acclaimed film director, producer, and passionate collector of art Claude Berri, founder of the artists’ right guild L’ARP (La Société civile des Auteurs Réalisateurs et Producteurs) and president of the Cinémathèque Française from 2003, obtained state subsidies to modernize buildings and present public exhibitions. Among the sites Berri created was a daring light-filled gallery at the address that will become Lévy Gorvy Paris. Designed by Pritzker Prize winning architect Jean Nouvel, Espace Claude Berri hosted important curated exhibitions and presentations of works from Berri’s collections until his untimely death in 2009.
Architect Luis Laplace of Laplace Studio, Paris, has been commissioned to remodel the site, respecting Jean Nouvel’s existing innovative design while maximizing the effects of its dramatic sloping skylights and enhancing the impressive rooms for exhibitions.
LGDR's Hong Kong headquarters is located in the St. George’s Building in Central. The choice of a landmark property for the gallery’s Asia location continues with the custom it has established in New York and London. Designed by architect Bill Katz in collaboration with HS2 Architecture, the 2,500 square foot space features distinctive 3.5 meter (12 foot) ceilings and includes private viewing rooms, a library, a research center for the gallery’s advisory services, offices, and an exceptional ground-floor space for curated public exhibitions.
First built in 1904, the St. George’s Building has served as home to many notable Hong Kong and international businesses over the past century. The current 275-foot tall St. George’s Building was unveiled in 1969, located at the junction of Connaught Road Central and Ice House Street, in the heart of the Central Business District. Formerly home to Graff Diamonds, the building retains the distinct character and distinguished management standards that the Kadoorie Family established from the outset of their acquisition of the site in 1969.